Sunday, March 29, 2015

Rock Brother

We have a general items store. One can find hygienic products, fun snacks, soda, juice and more stuff in our store. It just so happened that the person mom hired to run the store is a surly teenager who has a habit of lying and ingratefulness. In the end, she got fired, and so I now work for our own family store. I’m actually glad to do so, it means the store shall be within my hands and control.

I get to work partime in the safety and comfort of home, ain’t that great? Another awesome thing is, mom transferred the desktop downstairs, so I can still keep in touch with my home within the monitor screen.

Aside from the awesome working conditions, I finally had the chance to speak to our neighbors and make friends, the first in the many years since we transferred in this neighborhood! Since our store was luckily situated adjacent to a basketball court, I often meet teenagers around my age, so yay! Of course, there are the flirty dudes, the teasers, the show-offs who lift their jerseys to hopefully capture me with their muscles. Calm down, bro, I’m just here for the work, not for you.

From the few days I’ve worked in this place, I’ve met this one person in particular who stood out from the other people I’ve met.

We connected by our same tastes in music. He was playing basketball at the other side of the street while I was blasting music from my phone to ease the boredom arising in me. He kept on singing while playing, and boy, his voice was pretty good! Twilight of that same day, he and his friends decided to hang around our store. (There is some kind of bench outside our store.) Of course, while they were talking, I was blasting my music and at the same time partly listening to their conversations.

Then it all became a blur. The next thing I knew was, I allowed him to choose the music to be played. Scanning through my vast music list was like exposing my whole self to him. My music can totally define my life, my personality, the things I’ve been through and well, I exposed to him my source of life: Music. The thing with this guy is, he totally loves rock. He can play the guitar and the drums, and is an excellent dancer as well! He’s got a unique addiction to mint candy too. The warm brown color of his eyes, his soothing presence and we share that bond brought by the bridges of music.

My friendship with him is more than just a mini-crush. He brought me back to rock. Carried me to who I really am. I’ve been daunting on listening to other genres because my closest friends  listen to them. In the process of being with those close friends, my music had been influenced into listening to their genre. Mintaholic dude, as what I decided to call him, made me realize to never lose touch with myself in the process of befriending others.

Unfortunately, all things must come to an end. Turns out he has a girlfriend, but it drives me mad everytime I catch him sneaking glances at me. His girl and he are long-distanced but they’re really strong over facebook. I have to distract myself with other things to cease these feelings from flowing through.


Sometimes, we meet people because they have to teach us a valuable lesson we need to learn, or to remind us of something we need to remember always. It has been a blessing meeting Mintaholic. I’m so glad to have been saved by my Rock Brother. 

No comments:

Post a Comment